Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:06:10 -0800 (PST)

    >> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    >> Would it be practical to allow some sort of compacted patch-log storage
    >> for sets of old patch-logs, e.g., a .tar.gz file, managed via explicit
    >> user commands?

    > Somewhat but consider the timescales.

    > From: Tom Lord

    > Supposing we put in such a hack.  We'll still be living with it
    > 3, 5, and 10 years hence.  At what timescale will the file
    > system bogosities either become fixed or become immaterial?

On the other hand -- or on second thought -- or whatever....

If all you want is something that, in one step, turns some subset of
the log into a compressed tar file and deletes that subset from the
log (and vice versa) --- but _don't_ want various arch commands to
implicitly look at those compressed logs -- yeah, that's probably a
nice convenience command for the 1.2 series.