Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:49:55 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:36:29AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
    > > The Debian process, by definition -- by the social contract, can not
    > > implement that feedback.  Debian has pledged to treat all users
    > > equally -- not to give special attention to the customers of Bruce's
    > > service companies.

    > That's not actually correct.
    > http://people.debian.org/~asuffield/wrong/users_over_developers.html
    > addresses this, albeit not as the main point.

    > However, it still isn't going to happen. It just isn't prohibited by
    > the social contract.

So, I acknowledge your taking exception the phrase "pledged to treat
all users equally" -- your users_over_developers.html takes an
interesting and agreeable but narrow perspective on that. (You argue
about users-in-general vs users-who-are-developers -- those arguments
do not speak to commercial use of the Debian process.)

I'm also looking at articles 3 and 6 of the certificate of
incorporation of SPI, within which context I think the contract must
be read.  Being the project of a 501 (c)(3) corporation, Debian should
not only passively resist being coopted by UserLinux, it should be
proactive in erecting a (mutually beneficial) firewall between the two
efforts.