Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:58:48 +0000

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 10:09:37AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>     T>> Gee, and I always thought that, when push comes to shove,
>     T>> these customers will be best off if they figure out that the
>     T>> product they buy _is_ engineering.
>
>     A> Do I *really* have to point out that *everybody* thinks that
>     A> about their own field?
>
>     S> Including middle management.
>
> "middle management" and "engineering" are not necessarily disjoint
> sets of activities.

The definition of "middle management" that I learned when I studied
business organisation & management was approximately "People who do
nothing useful but can't be fired".

> But anyway....
>
> We can draw some pictures of UserLinux proposition:

Now, you really should know better than this. The marketroids can draw
much better pictures than you can, which prove their point far more
convincingly.

The accountants do it with cashflow diagrams and figures. The managers
do it with lengthly presentations and several new words (or old words
redefined). Etcetera.

All of them say the same thing: we know and can prove that the best
thing to spend money on is us, and Bruce should have considered our
role more.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |