Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:05:15 +0000

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 04:59:45PM +0100, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2003 16:23, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > Could you point out what the expected result would be since I see no
> > > difference between this and the plain-text approach of merging.
> >
> > Well, duh. That's because diff(1) doesn't understand it either. By
> > pure heuristics it happens to do the right thing more often than not
> > for source code and english text. It's wrong for almost everything
> > else.

> XML is very very different from binairy text; as applications will ignore
> ordering of Elements when ordering is not needed so you are allowed to switch
> ordering without anything breaking (for example)

That sentence has no meaningful content. "You can change the ordering
when the ordering is not needed".

> Your example uses different Attributes (the 'name1', 'name2' variable names)
> which make a merge like:
> <foo name3="val2" />
> plainly illegal.

Wrong. That could easily have been legal. That was *deliberately*
included as an example as something that *could* be legal, but a tool
that only understood xml would be unable to even comprehend.

It is blatantly evident that you have failed to understand what we are
talking about. Please review the thread and understand it before
continuing.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |