Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: humungous warnings about non-signed archives

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: humungous warnings about non-signed archives
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:20:38 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Stig Brautaset <address@hidden>

    > I don't want a big warning either. I don't use encryption/signing, and I
    > don't want tla to remind me of this fact _ever_.

And it won't unless you do something that strongly suggests you expect
an archive to be signed.

    > Let there be a way to query if the archive is signed or not, and shut up
    > about unsigned archives.

If the archive is unsigned, and you don't have a rule to sign or check
signatures in that archive, arch won't say boo about it.

The issue Miles is having is that he's reading from an old archive
that lacks _checksums_, not signatures.    _Every_ archive, even
unsigned ones, should have checksums.   It's easy to upgrade old
archives to have checksums.   Therefore, when arch encounters an old
archive that doesn't have checksums, it's waves its arms wildly and
runs around screeming "NO CHECKSUMS, NO CHECKSUMS!".

In 6 months at most you'll almost entirely forget about this issue.