Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Library not greedy enough?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Library not greedy enough?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:32:08 -0500

Miles Bader wrote:

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:34:21PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
But when I do a get, I get an in-tree pristine. (See below.) It happens with tla1.1 and my tla branch, which is synced with tla--devo--1.2--patch-50.

Not sure if it's the cause for your problem, but `tla get' doesn't use a
greedy library by default, even if there is one!  There's a fix for this in
my tla branch, but Tom hasn't merged it yet (hey Tom).

I think you can work around it by using the `--library' option with get.

[My tla:

   address@hidden/tla--devo--1.2

   http://arch.linuxguru.net/~miles/address@hidden

patch-1 is the fix]

-miles
Thanks, Miles and Tom. Adding --library to the "get" does work. Adding a previous revision manually did not fix it.

Also, "tla changes" is now producing pristines. But if I change the order of libraries so the greedy library is first, then "tla changes" does not produce pristines. The behavior of "tla changes" appears to vary, and I'm not sure what all the factors are.

so:
"tla get" requires the --library option
"tla get" seems unaffected by the presence or absence of prior revisions, at least for my case.

I believe that it's a reasonable case to have
- a non-greedy library first, so that important revisions like branch points can be cached long-term. I assume putting it first means it will be used by manual add-remove commands.
- a greedy library second, for storing recent/head revisions.

That way, your pruning script can be far simpler than if you have to preserve specific revisions in the greedy library.
Aaron