Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:11:52 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:

   > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

   > >Which points in the general direction of why extended attributes are
   > >simply an ill-conceived idea.

> For myself, I'm not sure of this.
[snip]

> If editors were doing what they say they're doing (changing contents), > any extended attributes would naturally be preserved.

Are you sure?  Extended attributes have no particular semantics.
There's no rule to say when they should be copied and when not, when
they should modified and when not.   They are an example of the
"property lists solve _everything_!" class of design errors.
I'm pretty sure that merely changing contents (e.g. fopen, fwrite, fclose) will preserve extented attributes. I'm not sure whether they're a good idea or not. I certainly liked the Reiser notion of making attributes just more files, but the identity vs equality issue is always a pain to deal with, and it may be impossible to use them if not everyone buys into it.

Ideally, I'd like to see Arch respect an "arch-category" attrib instead of having .arch-inventory files in my tree (or ++ in filenames), but this isn't an ideal world, and Arch seems designed to work well in the real world.

Aaron