Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:46:32 +0100

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:11:30AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>
>
>     > Note that tools such as cp(1) and mv(1) have the expected
>     > behaviour for all of [linux filesystems having extended
>     > attributes].
>
> "expected behavior?"   Certainly I would expect ACLs to be handled in
> a certain way but what is the expected behavior for an arbitrary
> user attribute?

Same way that permission bits and filenames and 3 dates per file were defined
registered and used by all appropriate applications (long ago).

To stand on the shoulders of giants you should be willing to build in width
as well as in height.  Even long-used and proven systems can be advanced.

Your petty arguments don't change the fact that people will build these things,
the only question is if you will embrace it, or be left behind.

--
Thomas Zander