Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:08:32 -0800 (PST)

    > From: address@hidden

    > On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:11:30AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
    > >     > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > >     > Note that tools such as cp(1) and mv(1) have the expected
    > >     > behaviour for all of [linux filesystems having extended
    > >     > attributes].

    > > "expected behavior?"   Certainly I would expect ACLs to be handled in
    > > a certain way but what is the expected behavior for an arbitrary
    > > user attribute?

    > Same way that permission bits and filenames and 3 dates per file were
defined
    > registered and used by all appropriate applications (long ago).

So, your plan is to form a team of <10 people, define the semantics of
these things, give out the code free to a bunch of universities, wait
for it to mature into an entire industry, and then rely on the fact
that all of the code in that industry finds its origins in the
original broadcast by that small team?

Sounds good.  Get to it.

    > Your petty arguments don't change the fact that people will
    > build these things, the only question is if you will embrace it,
    > or be left behind.

That does it.  Please go away.