Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?
Date: 13 Jan 2004 16:29:43 -0500

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 10:30, Johannes Berg wrote:

> As more argument for the issue, consider the case where I provide a
> branched version of some project. Now the original archive goes away.
> Then I'll simply cacherev my base-0 tag, and everyone is happy because
> they can get that code (presuming of course I still have it in a local
> mirror or my revision library, otherwise we're screwed and I can only
> cacherev the earliest revision that I have).
> If, otoh, I would be forced to cacherev my current patch-n, then nobody
> would be able to go back to my patch-m (m<n) without weird tricks like
> reverse-merging (which should be possible, I think).

In theory, "tla get" should be able to use the closest full copy and
build forwards or backwards from that.  After all, dopatch works in both
directions.  That would also solve that issue where you need an earlier
version of a tree, and wind up downloding it from scratch.  Again.

I think I'll try that some time, when I'm feeling braver.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology