Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:06:18 -0500

> James:
>   * add a header to log messages:
>     Revision: test--jmb--0--patch-57
>     New-cacherevs: test--jmb--0--base-0
>       test--jmb--0--patch-32
>     Removed-cacherevs: test--jmb--0--patch-25
>     [...]
>     which would simply annotate the existance of cacherevs.
>   (heavily interpreted from what you wrote, James, correct any mistakes)

This wasn't quite what I meant, but it may be better. Lets pretend that I said
this.

> Within that, it is easy to define branches, for example a
> archive-meta-data--cacherev branch. Any cacherev/uncacherev would
> commit to that branch (don't ask me about a version number), with above
> log syntax I invented to illustrate how I understood James' suggestion.
> The changeset would then always be empty, that somewhat bothers me
> because it is a waste of space, but its not much (a 4k block).
>
> Another branch in the archive-meta-data category could be descriptions
> (archive, category, branch, version).=20
> Ideally (really?), you wouldn't be allowed to check out that category
> (or really? not sure if that's any good), and have some special
> commands.
>       tla cat-readme [archive/][category[--branch[--version]]]
>       tla get-readme [archive/][category[--branch[--version]]]
> and a readme is just a message like:

Just to make sure I've understood this, you're proposing the following:

1. Add an arch-meta-data category to every archive
2. Under the arch-meta-data category, we can add various types of meta
   data banches.
3. One of those branches would be a cacherev branch. In that cacherev
   branch, we make the the commit logs that "I" wrote about

I get that right?

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com