Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Spaces in filenames

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Spaces in filenames
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:20:38 -0500

In lists.arch.users, you wrote:
> I need them!  And I'd rather not have to go back to CVS for my projects
> that have them.  Is there any ETA for when Arch will allow them?

I'm not aware of anybody actively working on allowing spaces in
filenames. Though you would think that it would be really easy to add
spaces, once you look at the code it ends up being a pretty big job. One
of the problems is that some of tla's internal files uses space as a
seperator. Its a difficult enough problem to solve that I can easily
imagine arch still not handling files with spaces six months from now.

Basicaly, you have these following choices:

1. You could fix tla to handle spaces. A lot of people will love you for
   this. Be careful though! I've heard from more than one person that
   anyone has looked too deeply into solving this problem has run off
   into the wilderness screaming.

2. Hire a programmer to perform the work. My personal recommendation
   would be to hire the lead developer of arch, Tom Lord. He's
   a bit on the expensive side, but you'll definitely get what you pay
   for!

3. Wait patiently for somebody else to perform #1 or #2.

4. For those projects in which you really, really need spaces, use
   another revision control system such as cvs.

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com