Re: [Gnu-arch-users] history of "forked" files

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] history of "forked" files
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:40:05 -0500

--- Original Message ---
From: Andy Tai <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] history of "forked" files

>Hi,how can histories of "forked" files be tracked in
>Arch?  I mean, say I have a file a.c and later I moved
>a.c to b/a1.c and created a copy that will envolve
>independently as c/a2.c.  How can I ensure a2.c will
>have a.c's history as part of its own?  Thanks.
>
>Andy

There is, by design, no such concept in arch.

There are logical id's, and these may be created or destroyed,
but they never "fork" or "merge" with one another.

The main reasoning behind this is that it simplifies what it
means to merge trees.  Think about the case when two branches,
one which has an id "forked" and one which does not, are merged.
 It shouldn't be too hard to convince yourself that this is more
trouble than it is worth.

This probably qualifies as a FAQ.  Is there a proper GNU arch FAQ
yet?

Thanks,
Bob