Re: [Gnu-arch-users] history of "forked" files

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] history of "forked" files
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:29:32 +1100

    Tom> What do you mean by "have a.c's history as part of its own?"

    Tom> For example, suppose that patch-N predates the creation a1.c
    Tom> and a2.c and that you 'tla replay --reverse patch-N': do you
    Tom> want changes to a.c to be removed from _both_ a1.c and a2.c?

    Tom> or do you only mean: "If I prepare a report that shows all
    Tom> the changes ever made to a2.c, it will also show changes to
    Tom> a.c?"

subversion has a "copy" command that will copy the file with all of
its history, ie. create a branch of the file.

I am not sure which of the above apply, but I think it would be only
the later (ie. reversing a change will only change the original file).
Don't quote me on this, I might be wrong.

I consider this somewhat weird.

You could argue (?) that it would be useful, if for instance you have
a *.c file, and you want to break out definitions into a separate *.h
file.

I think you could do this in arch(?) by somehow declaring a2.c was
derived from a.c in its initial version.

I am not convinced myself that it would be worth the effort.

Why not just create a new a2.c file and rename a.c to a1.c?
--
Brian May <address@hidden>