Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch usage case studies

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch usage case studies
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:22:05 -0500

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:48:14PM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> I don't like the non-spaced wikinames much either. But
> http://example.com/WikiWikiFoo is _far_ better than
> http://example.com/Wiki_20Wiki_20Foo, IMO.

It's better, but I think quoting wiki URLs is a much rarer occurrence than
seeing the link names within the wiki, so clearly the latter should be a
priority.

> > It would be possible to use [:link:title] for every link, but that would be
> > pretty annoying.
>
> Not necessary: moinmoin has an option to make WikiNames appear space
> separated.

That would be good -- but I'm somewhat unsure whether it would be good
enough.  For instance, in many cases the best name to use is something like
`Uppercase lowercase lowercase', which obviously wouldn't benefit from that
moinmoin feature.

The question is: what should be done about such cases?  Use the [:x:y] format
to allow a StudlyCaps page name, but keep the nice presentation?  Just give
up and use the spaced-out format for these links?  What about names that
don't use spaces, but are still not in `wiki format' (e.g., my tla-tools
page is called, naturally enough, `tla-tools')?

Whatever the case of course, there are many many pages already on the wiki
using the spaced-out form, and any whole-sale conversion might be better done
on the raw files.

[BTW, another gripe I have about the URLs is that they all have
`/moin.cgi/moin.cgi' in the middle -- is that really necessary?  If so, can
it at least be reduce to a single `/moin.cgi'?]

-miles
--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]