Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:52:34 -0500

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 13:29, Sylvain Defresne wrote:

>   I'm new to tla and to this list, so I may have mis-understood
> something. But how does this server-side delta computation interact with
> signed archive ? I was under the impression that each changeset is
> signed independently, and I don't see how the delta can be signed since
> the server. Or does this only work for non-signed archives ?

That's a very good question.  The overall answer is that I haven't
considered signing too much.  But I see two approaches:

1) The summary delta could be merely a concatenation of changesets, but
gzipped together - which would still give you a space savings.  That way
a client, if it wants, can verify the individual changesets.  Admittedly
this option isn't a big win, since it's probably the individual
changeset application that will be expensive.
2) Having a "server key" which is used to sign the deltas.

In practice though, I think what the signatures are really useful for is
verifying an entire archive after a system compromise.  Just securing
the download against MITM attacks could also be done with strong
authentication; for example, https or ssh.  If you have that, then you
could presume the server hasn't been compromised, and just not verify
signatures.