Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Sylvain Defresne
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:29:43 +0100

Hello,

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 21:01, Tom Lord wrote:

>    1) it calls apply_patch only once -- thus it addresses our
>       client side inefficiency
>
>    2) _if_ a server can compute and return that delta directly,
>       that completely solves our network latency and bandwidth
>       issues.   It's exactly one roundtrip and the changeset returned
>       is as compressed as it could possibly be.
>
>       The caveat is, of course server-side costs but that's a
>       worthwhile trade off in a number of circumstances.

  I'm new to tla and to this list, so I may have mis-understood
something. But how does this server-side delta computation interact with
signed archive ? I was under the impression that each changeset is
signed independently, and I don't see how the delta can be signed since
the server. Or does this only work for non-signed archives ?

--
keiichi