Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:27:42 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>

    > In practice though, I think what the signatures are really
    > useful for is verifying an entire archive after a system
    > compromise.

And for detecting a system compromise.

One idea is to add signing to the wire protocol to give servers the
option of stashing away a conventional dumb-fs copy of the archive,
even if it mostly uses an alternative format for most of its work.

You can draw on the dumb-fs copy to answer some requests very
efficiently.

You can verify the dumb-fs copy and rebuild the alternative from it to
recover from or detect compromises.

    > Just securing the download against MITM attacks could also be
    > done with strong authentication; for example, https or ssh.  If
    > you have that, then you could presume the server hasn't been
    > compromised, and just not verify signatures.

I think it would be neat to have a smart-server that also had a
dumb-fs interface.   (Not that this is a priority, or anything.)