Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centric wo

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centric world
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 01:05:11 +0000

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 04:19:08PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> You'd want to think about public key management.

That is an entire project in its own right. One which has been
frequently attempted and invariably failed (usually before getting off
the ground).

> If one wanted to make a really cool environment for project hosting
> with arch, I'm not sure what parts of the existing savannah
> infrastructure, if any, would be really helpful.

Mmm. Don't overestimate the parts of savannah that you see. Most of
the stuff you mentioned is lightweight php goo thrown over the top of
the real infrastructure; most of what gforge does is about managing
dns, ldap (for accounts and authentication), mail, postgresql (for
stashing all the crap that the php goo displays), ftp, and shell
access (plus cvs, but that's just thrown on the top of shell access).

It's not particularly *good* at any of those things, mind, but that's
what it *is*.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |