Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centric wo

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centric world
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:09:52 +0000

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 06:00:58PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > > If one wanted to make a really cool environment for project hosting
>     > > with arch, I'm not sure what parts of the existing savannah
>     > > infrastructure, if any, would be really helpful.
>
>     > Mmm. Don't overestimate the parts of savannah that you see. Most of
>     > the stuff you mentioned is lightweight php goo thrown over the top of
>     > the real infrastructure; most of what gforge does is about managing
>     > dns, ldap (for accounts and authentication), mail, postgresql (for
>     > stashing all the crap that the php goo displays), ftp, and shell
>     > access (plus cvs, but that's just thrown on the top of shell access).
>
> Why the monolith?  No feature _I_ use actually does anything special
> with dns.  Mail is provided by mailman and is flaky in part because of
> some of the internal interdependencies on savannah.  FTP is nowadays
> handled by separate software.  Shell access isn't needed for an arch
> host.  ....

Well, as deployments go, savannah basically sucks.

DNS is for $project.sourceforge.net, which savannah doesn't do
afaik. I heard that the mail problems are essentially their fault for
doing it wrong, although I'm not sure how accurate that is. Shell
access was originally (in the sourceforge days) intended for access to
the compile farm - and I can imagine other uses for it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |