[Gnu-arch-users] explicit id syscall stats with working inode caching..

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] explicit id syscall stats with working inode caching..
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:29:20 +1100

top syscall summary for my --integration-- branch (which has some
optimisations over tom's currently)

The command being tested is 'tla changes' on one of my Squid branches.

  22756 lstat64
  20725 read
  11058 open
  11022 close
   1550 getdents64
    759 fstat64
    753 fcntl64
    501 stat64
    254 brk

top syscall summary for my --inodes-- branch (which should be even
lower, but I've found a problem with inconsistent inode sigs after a tla
get that doesn't appear to be branch specific. That has a knockon effect
preventing the full benefit being realised).

  23889 lstat64
  15966 read
   7675 open
   7675 close
   1560 getdents64
    768 fstat64
    762 fcntl64
    501 stat64
    270 brk

So far, thats about a 25% incremental reduction, I'm expecting to drop ~
7000 reads once I fix the generation of inode sigs.

Rob