Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Setting tree revision for imported sources

From: Jacob Gorm Hansen
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Setting tree revision for imported sources
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:14:23 +0100

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 23:36, Miles Bader wrote:

> I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do -- do you want to
> combine the latest-version of the source from BK + the patch-logs ({arch}/*}
> from revision X of the arch archive, and commit that to arch as revision X +
> 1?  And you're starting with a shared arch/BK tree from some past arch
> revision?

I think it is easier to explain if I stop talking about bk for a minute.

Imagine that I wish to have my own branch on top of a project that
releases only complete tarballs. I start off by creating a new archive,
and import the sources of the first version with 'tla import', 'tla add
*.c' and so on. I then create a branch to hold my own work, which I
intend to keep private for ever (to simplify things for now). Much like
a 'vendor-branch' in CVS.

Whenever a new tarball is released I want to do the following:

1) unpack the tarball
2) populate the untarred directory with {arch} and .arch-ids.
3) view all the changes since my last version of the project with 'tla
changes'
4) commit these changes to arch
5) rm -rf the unpacked directory, and the tarball

If I combine tla init-tree and tla sync-tree I get strange results, it
seems all the id-files are missing.

Jacob