Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Invalid Base-revision

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Invalid Base-revision
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:31:50 +1100

    John> Now, if I check the files, the checksum.cachrev does have
    John> the 457...  number, and md5sum of the actual tarball gives
    John> the 593... number.  So tla is actually finding a real
    John> discrepancy.  Now this is my personal tag of the main
    John> repository, so I don't have any problem nuking it, and then
    John> re-getting the main repository file.  Is there any
    John> recommended way of completely removing a branch, without
    John> just going into the directory and removing it?  I'm trying
    John> not to modify the repository directly, as I feel that is
    John> dangerous thing to do. But since the repository is somehow
    John> corrupt I don't see any other way to fix it.

    John> Is there a better way?

Yes. Replace these files with the good copy you have in your backup,
of course... You do make backups, don't you?

If this happened to me, I would be trying to work out if the tarball
is bad or the checksum.cacherev is bad. If the cacherev is bad, it
might be just a matter of recalculating the checksum file.

For the truly paranoid, also ensure that the tarball hasn't been
deliberately tampered with.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>