[Gnu-arch-users] tla cygwin error

From: John F Meinel Jr
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tla cygwin error
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:08:24 -0600

I downloaded and installed the cygwin binaries from
http://www.geocities.com/lode_leroy/arch/

And in general, things looked like they work working. I was able to
checkout a project, and it seemed like the trees were being generated in
a reasonable way.

However, when I went to do tla build-config it would fail:
* tree version set address@hidden/interface-airway-seg--dev--0.1
* from archive cached:
address@hidden/implementation-airway-seg-rgrow
--dev--0.1--base-0
/usr/share/tla/libexec/tar:
implementation-airway-seg-rgrow--dev--0.1--base-0/{arch}/,,inode-sigs/address@hidden:
Could not create file: No such device or address

wait_for_tar: tar subprocess killed by signal 11

Now, I'm assuming that the problem is that even with the collapsing
features, the directory is still too long. I checked, and the directory
(including the sub-paths) could be as long as 240 characters.

Is there any way to get around this? I know I can check out that
particular project in a different tree. So I could probably do that and
then move it into there. Though it breaks my desire to use tla build-config.

It seems to me that the problem is tar still expands all the
directories, and then they are collapsed after the fact. If that is
still necessary, would it be possible to untar into a short directory
(like /tmp), and then move it locally? You still have the unique string
for the tla get, so you shouldn't have filesystem conflicts
(,,get.rgrow.1077226518.3484.9).
The only problem I see is that you can't get atomic rename across
filesystems, but generally on cygwin /tmp is the same filesystem as
everything else. You could also check what filesystem you _are_ on, and
then go to /cygwin/c, or /cygwin/d, etc.

Also, earlier it was mentioned that tla-cygwin only works on NTFS, not
FAT32. I happen to have both an NTFS and a FAT32 partition. On my
machine I dual-boot, and NTFS isn't supported very well. So windows
stuff I install on C (NTFS), but then all my shared data goes onto D
(FAT32). I generally prefer to develop there, so it would be nice if
tla-cygwin would support both NTFS and FAT32.

Thanks,
John
=:->