Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tag'ged (branched) and cacherev'ed archive dependen

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tag'ged (branched) and cacherev'ed archive dependency?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:50:41 +0100

Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel wrote:

        True, it doesn't mention history at all, but it raises the concern
of (possibly forever) unaccessible archives and the need to safeguard your
branch against it. Since history is an important component of a project, it
seems to me that not saving it (not even allowing to) is a serious
deficiency.

If you really care about a foreign project/archive history, then you can mirror the archive (what you should do in most cases), so if the original creator decides to nuke it, you do not lose anything.

It does not sound like a deficiency to me. Rather, you have a choice to make (mirror or not mirror) instead of having no one (e.g. with CVS).

Robin