Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tag'ged (branched) and cacherev'ed archive depe

From: Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tag'ged (branched) and cacherev'ed archive dependency?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:19:40 -0300

On Fri, Feb 20 2004 at 12:02:22PM BRT, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> Really, it wouldn't be a suitable thing for cacherevs, because of the added
> cost; if this facility is something people want, then it should be a new
> independent feature, so those who care can use it, without screwing up
> cachrevs for everybody else ...  and guess what, that independent feature
> _already exists_, in the form of mirrors!

        Ok, granted, mirrors solve most of the problem.

> >         If I mirror an archive, can I later use the mirror as a "proper"
> > archive? I.e., can I erase the original archive, "register-archive -d" it
> > and "register-archive" the (former) mirror as the "main" archive, and
> > nothing will change?
>
> Yes (though you have to delete the archive meta-info file that marks it as
> being a mirror, so that tla will let you write to it).

        Ah, right, thanks.

> >         And, if that's possible, how can I migrate a project from one
> > archive to another? Because, is this case, if I had an old archive that I
> > wanted to get rid of, but which contained only one important project, I
> > could move that project (along with its history etc) to a new archive.
>
> You could mirror it, either fully or partially, or you could even just make a
> new empty archive, and use `cp' to copy in the branches you want ... :-)
> Arch's archive format is quite easy to manage with normal unix tools...

        If I understood it correctly, none of these let me grab project from
archive1 and move to archive2 (which already existed, with other projects
in it). At most, I'd be able to create a new archive, containing the
project.

        What I'm looking for is a "tla migrate archive1/project
archive2/[project2]"

> >         I find it really odd that I can't do things like mirror a project,
> > only an entire archive. I mean, if I understood correctly, I can't do
> > anything of the kind, right?
>
> You can make partial mirrors, if that's what you mean
> (try `tla archive-mirror --help').

        Yes, that's what I meant, in this case. Thanks.

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <address@hidden>
 http://isnomore.net                          GPG KeyId: <0x0DB14978>