Re: [Gnu-arch-users] may I pick your brains?

From: Paul Cory
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] may I pick your brains?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:08:10 -0500

  2) I wanted to persuade my manager, who was shopping for
     revision control technology, to choose arch.
 3) Arch lost (big time) because I couldn't point to a
     web site that had a professional look and that "made
     the case" for arch in a rapidly assimilable way.
By way of generating "raw materials" to edit into being that web site:
what are the 5 most important things to say about arch up front?

So far, the suggestions have been from the folks really know their arch and version control stuff. However, the anecdote applies to convincing managers, who don't always understand what all the cool technical stuff means or, more importantly how it affects their goals. While I'm a revision control newbie, I do a lot of explaining technology benefits to less technically astute management types. I also something of the factors I and others in my organization use in making technology decisions.

1) How will arch make my people more productive? Why is it better than X (subversion, CVS, Bitkeeper and so on)? The technical details can be quoted to support this, but this is the most important consideration for the manager.

2) Who's using arch for what? It really helps to be able to point a manager type to a successful project similar to what you're attempting to do, or better yet, is larger and more ambitious than what you're attempting. A track record is hard proof that the product works in the real world. Managers like that - it reassures them that this isn't a blind alley they're going down. For example, Apache+mod_perl is much easier to defend to my managers when I have places such as Salon.com to point to.

3) Is our data safe?

4) Arch is under continuous development and support options are available for it. Yes, I know the joy of Open Source is that you get the source code to work with. But my organization, like most, doesn't have the capability to maintain or extend arch, so it's vital to know that bugs are being fixed, features added and so on, on a regular basis. It's also vital for us to have a place to go for support. Paid is nice, but not necessary - what's important is that support is easy to get to and quick to respond, even if it's e-mail.

5) What platforms does it run on? If it doesn't run on the operating systems my organization uses, it's not an option.

Obviously, the Website does need to have a wealth of technical detail for the technical types who will implement arch. Managers though, are looking for overall benefits and for a decision that they can defend to their superiors and peers,

Paul Cory
WCPSS Webmaster