Re: [Gnu-arch-users] may I pick your brains?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] may I pick your brains?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:16:29 +1100

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 11:29, Tom Lord wrote:

> I want to make such a web site.
>
> By way of generating "raw materials" to edit into being that web site:
> what are the 5 most important things to say about arch up front?

I'm doing a talk to the ACS open source sig this week, which is somewhat
in parallel to this topic. I'll assemble any interesting feedback I get
from the talk.

For now though...
0) distributed architecture - only read access needed to branch. Key
benefits: gatekeeping is easy; security enforced outside arch, not
through dubious in-application script; offline access
1) 'advanced' cherry picking support. Backporting fixes to stable
branches from development code has never been easier.
2) inbuilt mirroring support. offsite backups without hacks.
3) extensible implementation - existing hooks, commitment to add new
hooks as appropriate, and return codes usable by calling programs.
4) tunable performance (by choosing the amount of mirroring / cached
revs etc).

Rob