RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: may I pick your brains?

From: Parker, Ron
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: may I pick your brains?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:36:10 -0600

> From: Bruce Stephens [mailto:address@hidden

> "C. R. Oldham" <address@hidden> writes:

> > Now, being told that my programmers can easily branch and create
> > offline copies of archives, littering their file storage area with
> > lots of little archives kind of scares me.  To me, that means some
> > pretty strict policies and procedures that cannot be enforced via
> > technical means need to be put in place.

> That's a valid concern, but programmers will do that anyway, even with
> inadequate tools.  Arch (or some other tool which allows cheaper
> branching) just helps avoid the manual copying and things.

Very true,  I periodically make a local copy of our SourceSafe repository
just to be able to work in a somewhat saner fashion and nobody knows about
it.    (Well at least until now, if they read GAU or our mail logs.)  When
some of my changes are ready for group use, they get committed to the
official repository.

Bruce's statement is reinforced by what happened when our company
implemented some Active Directory stuff and began syncing all of the user's
documents to the server to be certain everything was contained in a
centralized and "safe" location.  The synchronization takes so long when
logging on or off that most users have moved all of their documents out of
their "My Documents" folder and now the company has no way of knowing where
these files may be.  Where previously, while the files were not always in a
safe location, they were in a known location and could be periodically
backed up location.  Now this is no longer possible.