Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: may I pick your brains?

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: may I pick your brains?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:50:18 -0800

On Feb 23, 2004, at 7:25, C. R. Oldham wrote:

Now, being told that my programmers can easily branch and create offline
copies of archives, littering their file storage area with lots of
little archives kind of scares me. To me, that means some pretty strict policies and procedures that cannot be enforced via technical means need
to be put in place.

We have the opposite problem where I work. Our source trees are very large, and our revision control system is littered with branches where someone wanted to make a small change to the system, or unofficial experiments or something. Anything that has the possibility of getting run in production must come from a branch our QA has access to, so the changes would need to be merged into an official location. Dealing with such branches outside of the official tree is just fine here, and would definitely be preferable.

It's all in how you paint the picture, I think. My manager really loves the idea that I can branch the tree on my laptop on a road trip if I need to, and merge my changes back in, changelogs and all, when I get back. Of course, the latter part hasn't happened just yet because ``merge my changes back in'' requires an arch to p4 gateway which I haven't written yet (although I've got the other direction working wonderfully).

--
Dustin Sallings