Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:01:22 -0700

   Really, I suspect if the aba, tla-contrib, and tla-tools guys just
pooled all their stuff, we'd have a good start. They just don't seem to
be doing that, and their documentation is kind of sketchy.

Given that aba is part of tlacontrib, your statement doesn't make any
sense.

Yeah, what I really meant is "pooled their efforts, and documented". aba is distributed with tlacontrib, but its not really integrated.

In tlacontrib, you have aba, which is kind of a front end for tla that implements some handy stuff like aliases (but has super minimal documentation, I had to browse the source to find out I could do aba help command), but then there are other scripts in tlacontrib that aren't integrated.

So it seems to me like aba is a good building block, and should subsume some of the tla-contrib scripts and some of the tla-tools scripts, and eventually become the "thing you run instead of tla, unless you want to do something weird".

Assuming of course, that tla doesn't adopt some of the aba stuff, like aliases, or some of the high-level commands.

But again, I'm a GUI developer, not a nuts-and-bolts guy, so I prefer high-level interfaces. Perhaps you do too, which is why you wrote aba.

What I think is that if you all sat down together and brainstormed a bit, you could come up with a vastly simplified interface to tla, and implement it in aba. You'd probably have to make some assumptions about the BEST(TM) way to do things (or have some way that users could specify their preferences), but people could hit the ground running with arch.

After a while, there would be some cross-propagation between aba and tla, because Tom would think, "ya know, that should really be in tla", and a feature would move over. People writing GUI tools would use the scripts in aba as a starting point, etc.

Something like that is inevitable really, its just whether it would happen soon, or later. I'd rather it happened sooner, because I'd like to see all this arch knowledge move into code, so that I can have a small set of "aba" knowledge instead of a large set of "arch" knowledge.

 Pierce

P.S.

  aba suggestions:

have a register-archive that both registered the archive, and built an alias:

aba register-archive jblack address@hidden http://arch.linuxguru.net/~jblack/{archives}/2004

would let me use

^jblack for address@hidden

In the big picture, aliases are a general high-level facility so that aba users can work with much shorter names. I would think that aliases should be names that they tend to create as they go along with other aba commands like "branch-this" and "tag-this".