Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:10:06 -0800

On Feb 25, 2004, at 13:35, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:

The difference between an easy interface and a simple one? I'm not sure I understand the distinction? I prefer levels of interfaces myself.

Vim is an incredibly complex application with an interface that allows all kinds of things. Even if you go with just the normal, basic editing stuff, there are two modes where keys mean totally different things (plus the : mode).

However, it's very easy for me to do nearly anything to a file in vim. I have to know both what I want done, and how to do it, but after knowing, it's very little effort.

Compare this to pico. It has a very simple interface, but it's not terribly easy to do anything more complex than enter text, delete text, cut and paste.

--
Dustin Sallings