Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Low level vs. high level UI
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:00 -0500

Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:

On Feb 25, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Aaron Bentley wrote:

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 16:35, Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:
set of documentation would just get out-of-sync fast.

Sure, but perhaps you can mention aba help in the readme, as I found it by accident.

Okay.  Done.

I think its sometimes good to sit down and
think:

    Ok, what do I do all the time in arch?
    How could that be more automatic?

My objective with aba is to lower the barrier to entry, so that the
first time you think "I do this a lot", you go and write an aba command.

Well, that makes it easier to use. Lowering the barrier to entry would be aba + a lot of contributed commands.

Oh, I meant lowering the barrier for creating wrappers by providing a framework and template. It's not specifically aimed at new users. It's specifically aimed at me.

  Ah, what are the 7 commands you use.

tla update,
aba diff [tla changes --diffs],
aba elog [$EDITOR $(tla make-log)],
tla commit,
aba merge [tla star-merge $(cat $(tla tree-root)/++merge-source))],
tla archive-mirror,
aba branch-this.

 Funny that 4 of them are aba commands.

Sure. I wrote aba because I wanted to use it. Note that "diff" and "elog" are trivial, though.

Maybe we can talk offline about how YOU work with tla, and I can rough out some aba commands to work that way.

Oh, I'm pretty good about writing commands for myself.

   Well, like if I wanted a branch:

    projects--fixingpunctuation--1.2 in archive:

Which archive? You can't branch into jblack's archive, only he can.

  Perhaps aba should figure that out for me?

It looked as if you'd forgotten to write something after "archive:" Of course, tla (and therefor aba) will use your default, unless you specify otherwise.

   aba branch-this fixingpunctuation

   would let you use

  aba get ^fixingpunctuation

  because that would expand to:

  tla get address@hidden/projects--fixingpunctuation--1.2

  Does that make a little more sense?

Not really.  Because if it's your default archive, you can use
tla get projects--fixingpunctuation.  And if it's not your archive, you
can't branch into it at all.  The only case I can see for it is for a
non-default archive that you own.

Perhaps the get is a bad example. What about later on if you wanted to do something else with the branch?

Pretty well every command will assume your default archive, unless you say different. So an alias won't dramatically reduce the length.

Aaron