Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:58:00 -0400

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 05:15:57PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > '--' is use as command line switch, so it's not transparent and don't
>     > follow POSIX behavor.
>     [....]
>     > This make tla behave differently than other GNU tools .
>
> The posix standards are mosty a record of historic accidents with some
> never-fully-done thoughts on cleaning them up.
>
> The GNU conventions are mostly some thoughts on cleaning up tradition
> by layering on something fancier, but those thoughts were never fully
> developed either, afaict.

In any case, I think the way "--" is used in most tla commands is close
enough in spirit to the `posix use' (it protects the "filenames which may
start with -" portion of the command line from preceding options) that it
should cause few real problems (and the way it's used in tla is actually very
handy for the user; if it were removed, there should be an equally handy
replacement, which likely would be _less_ intuitive to anyone accustomed to
the typical use of "--").

-Miles