Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argu

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:50:57 -0500

Yann Droneaud wrote:
[...]

but 'ls --' is equivalent to 'ls'.

'tla undo' is not equivalent to 'tla undo --', in fact the latter does
not work at all, the '--' command switch require argument : '--' change
the behavior of the command instead of changing only the command line
parsing.

But, the point is not to prove if tla behavor is POSIX compatible
(it's not ;), but to think if it's acceptable. And it's probably an
endless discussion.

(That's why i made this bug report a wishlist).

Regards.

Sorry to jump in late, but here are my thoughts.

The '--' switch has the meaning (or at least the feeling) I'm done with arguments, everything after this is a filename. And that is exactly how tla handles it. The difference, though, is that it requires that switch to supply *any* filenames.

So I have to wonder. Why can't "tla undo", et. al. just take a list of filenames. So that if I type:
        tla undo
It does a standard undo, but if I use
        tla undo file1 file2
It says, hey, there are specifically listed files, lets only undo them.

Is it an issue with the command line parser?

*I feel* like we could switch to a more POSIX-y format just by allowing files any time, and then have '--' only mean no options can occur after a '--'.

John
=:->