Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argu

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:25:31 -0500

Miles Bader wrote:

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 07:50:57AM -0500, John Meinel wrote:

[...]

I agree that in cases where it makes sense, the `--' ought to be optional.

However the way tla typically uses `--', it separates file lists (and some
other sorts of lists) -- but non-file arguments such as revision names still
precede it.  This is non-posixy, but it's in fact damned useful, because it
allows one to specify such lists while _still_ omitting preceding non-file
arguments (so they get their default value); since these preceding arguments
are by virtue of restricted syntax not confusable with options, this is a
non-ambiguous, and very handy system.

I had forgotten about archive names, etc. Though I thought they all
followed formats such that you could detect if it was a revision versus
a file, etc. And that there were some priority rules (at least for some
commands) such that it checked if it matched a filename first.

I would object to any change that made me type more just to be pedantic about
some standard in a way that simply doesn't matter very much.

I can agree to that.

-Miles

I do agree tla uses '--' in the spirit of the Posix option, even if it
doesn't follow the letter. I've never been confused by it.

John
=:->