Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Unable to 'tla get' from public mirror -- PANIC: I/

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Unable to 'tla get' from public mirror -- PANIC: I/O error
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:49:40 +0200

On Thursday 16 September 2004 01.08, James Blackwell wrote:
> Robin Farine wrote:

> >  tla archive-mirror http://... sftp://....

> I disagree. I'm much more capable of remembering
> tla archive-mirror address@hidden \
>   address@hidden
>
> Rather than
> tla archive-mirror address@hidden \
>
> address@hidden/home/jblack/archives/address@hidden
>-2004

Yes, me too, when I have a single mirror of a given archive.
Otherwise, I almost always do a 'tla archives' before an explicit
'tla archive-mirror' to cross-check with the actual locations.

For a moment, I was thinking that an archive name was something more
abstract than an archive location: an archive name maps to many
locations, one containing the original archive, the others
containing (possibly partial) mirrors while an archive location
always maps to a unique archive name.

Associated with each location, we could even have a preference value
that tla would use to try locations in order when we refer to an
archive by its name for actions operating at the logical archive
level.

Thus, I was thinking that 'make-archive' and 'archive-mirror' work
at the location level rather than at the more abstract logical
archive level.

Robin