Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Manners

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Manners
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:11:31 -0400

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:36:41PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> At this point, I think the most appropriate thing to do is to keep him
> plonked while he learns to not be a bully. Hopefully he'll get with the
> program, and by the time he leaves "timeout", we can all get back to
> doing what needs to be done.

It's rather hard to tell who actually started all this silliness (because it
apparently started in private mail).  I know Tom can sometimes act like a
dick, but so can you (James).

"Plonking Tom" is not a reasonable response though, however annoying this
thread is.  He has far more insightful thing to say about arch than anyone
else going, and in the end if it comes down to a stark choice between you
or Tom, frankly, you're going to lose.  [Your comment "We'll try to keep
you involved in development as much as possible Tom" was both stupid and
asinine.]

Tom's messages that you should just "shut up about things you don't
understand" (stick to shining shoes?) was also extremely rude, and uncalled
for -- if you post clueless drivel (no comment on whether that's actually
what it was) it's annoying, but the correct response is for someone to
respond "you're full of shit and here's why:...".  For any reasonable
person, being chastized in _that_ manner would make them try hard to be
more careful in the future, and maybe they'd then _learn_ something and
become a more productive poster.  But "shut up you moron" replies just
raise hackles.

Someone made a comment to me that Tom was "afraid of other people taking
over control of the project", and I dismissed it as being silly -- why
would Tom think such a thing when we're all clearly a big happy family,
albeit at times in a foul mood?

But some of the mutterings in this thread make me wonder if such a dopye
vibe actually _is_ going on -- both Tom being worried about this, and (even
more bizarre) some sense on James' part that there actually _is_ some sort
of weird battle for control in which he is "a contender".  If so, please,
just stop it, it's stupid.  James: You seem to be doing a great job of
getting things moving, when Tom is off in la-la far future land, but arch
is _not_ your baby, it's Tom's, sorry.  Tom: geez, chill a bit; when it
comes down to it, your word is the final one, but if James announces an
"official release" that seems pretty reasonable, why not just say "hey
that's cool, official it is!"

I'm sorry about the rant, but this is all just absurd, you're both acting
like 2nd graders.  There's clearly private email that I'm not privy to, but
I assume it's more of the same sordid grade-school level insults and
conspiracies.

Just stop.  Please.  Not just the flames, the dumb thoughts too.

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]