Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Cache & cached archives

From: Eric Wong
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Cache & cached archives
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:46:06 -0700

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Wong wrote:
> >Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I would like to be able to run [ar]browse (no options) as
> >quickly as I do with local mirrors, and I'd like to streamline it with
> >disconnected operation.
>
> Of course, that's impossible while maintaining the "Never out of date"
> feature, and I wanted to keep that.  Now that Tom's talking about
> tunable expiry, so you could possibly cache that information for a
> longer period.
>
> >archive-mirror:
> >
> >archive-mirror would have a --dirs option to create a directory skeleton
> >for the local archive.  All the directories that are present on the
> >remote archive are copied over, but remain empty (with the exception of
> >sub directories).
>
> The underlying implementation doesn't currently have a way to represent
> empty versions, but I'll likely change that.  I don't currently have a
> way to list versions, either.  Both of those will need to change before
> the cache can be substituted for a mirror anyway.
>
> So yes, I can see cache-fill --dirs --expire 3600 creating a skeleton
> that would last for an hour.

Cool.  So I could set --expire $REALLY_HIGH_NUMBER and do my updating
manually (resetting the high expire time) whenever I want like I
currently do with local mirrors?  Maybe having 'never' as an --expire
argument would be good so we can get rid of local mirrors entirely.

> >[ar]browse:
> >
> >[ar]browse would have an option to choose to use _only_ cached
> >information, or access the remote archive as needed (--cached/--uncached?).
> >I'm undecided on which method is better as the default, but as long as
> >users have the option to choose, both the cache and local-mirror usages
> >will be supported.
>
> Err.  That's trickier to implement using the current archives.h interface.
>
> >The remote option would be somewhat equivalent of what I currently do
> >(tla archive-mirror && tla abrowse) with my local mirrors except I'll be
> >able to avoid downloading changesets and patch-logs I don't need.
>
> remote option?

Erm, I meant --uncached.  But I guess tunable expiry would take care of
that.

--
Eric Wong