[Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"

From: Mark Stosberg
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:53:31 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-09-26, James Blackwell <address@hidden> wrote:

>> you've left in are aliases (which shouldn't be included in "newbie"
>> help) and some of them are what I'd consider esoteric
>> (e.g. explicit-default -- after reading the help on it, I'm still not
>> sure what it does or why I'd ever want to use it).

I agree that aliases aren't needed in newbie help. I think this is a
great idea. Thanks for your work on this!

>> How about splitting them by "task"?
>>
>> tla help -> a short introduction, points to other help
>> tla help starting -> my-id, my-revision-library, library-config
>>                      make-archive, my-default-archive,
>>                      register-archive, archives

I link this idea, but I thin kind of cross-referencing is best expressed
in a medium like HTML, while expressing it in help output written in C
is more cumbersome.

A simpler short-term variation would be for the newbie help output to
conclude with a message like:

For more documentation, including task-based solution see:
http://www.some-page-at-the-wiki.org/

Even before this help update is released in arch, this re-orgization
would be useful to have on the wiki.

        Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/