Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:46:42 +1000

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 08:42, Miles Bader wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 06:21:56PM +0200, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > Fine. I just wanted to get rid of the aliases. So the list should be:
> >
> > add-id
> > mv
> > rm
>
> "delete-id" and "move-id" are not aliases.  They do different things than
> "rm" and "mv" (should they be in the help?  I don't know).
>
> I'm beginning to think there should be different levels of help command,
> e.g., the default could be "level 0", which would be really, _really_ short
> -- just register-archive, get, and update, with the added note "For help
> about more commands use `help normal', `help advanced', or `help all'"

I agree. But I think three would be the most, eg:
help
help more
help all

More than that, and you're better off going to theme/ subject/ topic
based help, where you can go "tla help topic" and get a bunch of
related commands, and just "tla help" would show the really short
list, as well as "help more|all" and a list of "topics".

And that, of course, is a fair bit of work.