Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:29:46 +0200

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:29:06AM +0200, Robin Farine wrote:
[...]
> For a tree meant to be deployed on a UNIX machine [...]

> directories       root root 00755      # default for directories
> files             root root 00644      # default for files
>  <inventory id 1> root disk 00660
[...]
> For tree meant to be deployed on a Windows NT machine [...]
> Windows ACLs [...]

(sorry for the snippage, but I think this conveys your idea
quite well).

How far are we of actually providing a generic `file metadata
machinery'? Owner, permissions, timestamps, colour, flavour...

Is this desirable? Does it make sense?

(Naively I'd think yes, but...)

Of course, for some attributes on some target systems you have
to perform an actual mapping [on unix: owner <--> chown()
perms <--> chmod() and so on, as far as your capabilities
allow it. What to do when not? What to do with `other'
metadata: e.g. WinNT ACLs on unix?]

Regards

-- tomás