Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Optimal setup for disconnected/laptop use?

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Optimal setup for disconnected/laptop use?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:07:32 -0500

In lists.arch.users, you wrote:
> I was wondering what people considered to be a good setup for using
> Arch on a laptop.  Here's the basic situation.  I have a few projects
> that reside in arch repositories on my desktop computer.    Basically,
> I'd like to be able to do commits from my laptop, and have those
> commits eventually migrate up to the main repository.  I understand
> that the right way of doing this is to set up archives on the laptop.
> But what's the cleanest way of doing this?  And is there some way of
> making the commits I do on the laptop show up cleanly and individually
> on the desktop once they are merged in?

The easiest way is to keep your archive on a usb key fob, like I do.
Then, regardless of which machine you use, your archive is available.

This is even more appealing if you use something like autofs to
automatically mount the archive on demand.

Another alternative is to keep your archive in a publically addressable
place, and use it remotely. Of course, this goes against disconnected
operation, so I'll stop here...

There's one other option: If you get
address@hidden/bazaar-docs--initial--1.1, there is, in the
old/ directory, a file called "TravelingOftenWithArch.rst". That
explains in painful detail how to use one logical archive with
disconnected sources. One word of caution: This is a easy to screw up
maneuver.

Good luck.