[Gnu-arch-users] Archive configuration recommendations

From: Colin Fox
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Archive configuration recommendations
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:26:37 -0800

I'm moving from CVS to Arch, and I could use some suggestions.

I've been toying with arch on my own for a while, and I like it (though
I'm still not sure about the whole pre-punctuation thing - ++ ,, = {}
etc -- makes some things quite awkward).

Anyway -- I have a small company with 3 subcontractors, and I'll be
bringing more on this year.

The two methods (as I see it) of archive configuration are (a) One
central archive that everyone commits to, and (b) one master archive and
each developer having their own development branches.

The (a) method is pretty much what we already have with CVS, and it
works fine.

The (b) method has some definite appeal - I like the idea of developers
being able to work on their own, with as many commits as they want to
their own archives before creating a big ball o' changes to go back to
the main repository.

But I haven't seen enough documentation (or the right docs) for how to
set up (b). The idea of a non-core OSS developer submitting changes has
been mentioned, but no detailed cookbook style docs describing how to
actually do it (well, as far as I've been able to discover, anyway).

The example in the tutorial for using Star-merge is way too short. It
seems to assume that the non-mainline developer's archive is in the
mainline developer's list of archives, which may not be true
(particularly if the developer is developing on a laptop with a dynamic
IP). From the wiki:

"In ordinary use, you invoke star-merge  in the tree you want to merge
info, providing as an argument the tree you want to merge from:

~        % tla get -A address@hidden \
~                hello-world--candice--0.1--patch-4 \
~                merge-temp

~        % tla star-merge address@hidden/hello-world--mainline--0.1
"

What is merge-temp? It's not used in the next command, so what's it's
purpose? What happens after the star-merge? What state is the mainline
in, and what happens when 'candice' wants to re-get the stuff from
mainline. Does she also star-merge?

(Also, there are lots of typos in the wiki -- "..you want to merge info")

Any help, docs or pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~  cf