Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Archive configuration recommendations

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Archive configuration recommendations
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:20:58 +0900

    Matthew> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 06:11:29PM -0800, Colin Fox wrote:

    >> Ok, that makes sense. The only thing is -- I don't want to have
    >> to register an archive for each developer so I can get their
    >> changes back.

    Matthew> Why not?  It's not as though you have 150 developers to
    Matthew> coordinate.  It seems like a lot of hassle, but it's
    Matthew> actually really straightforward.

Even if he _did_ have 150 developers to coordinate, it would be
straightforward.  In fact, one way to think about Arch is as a means
to enable methods for administration of 5 developers to scale to
administration of 150 developers.

This does not address the _conceptual_ difficulties of having 150
cooks spoiling the broth.  Arch can't keep people from trying to add
red wine and fish oil at the same time.  What Arch can and does do is
make it possible for 150 people to simultaneously slice and dice the
same code base without adding a few human fingers to the mix.