Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: HTTP access to CVS

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: HTTP access to CVS
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:12:28 +0530

>>>>> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:39:25 +1100, Matthew Palmer <address@hidden> said:

mp> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:46:00PM +0530, Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:
>> Hello, Is there someone using TLA over proxy to access GNU [Emacs]
>> repositories? I changed my job and have now landed myself in a company with
>> a stricter firewall! I have access to internet (which is not given to
>> all!!) and can make use of HTTP port only over a PROXY server. I never
>> imagined that I would have to struggle so much to get access to a GNU
>> project. Changing jobs has been jumping from frying pan (tolerant firewall)
>> to (strict) fire (wall). Any help is really appreciated.

mp> Does

mp> http_proxy="http://user:address@hidden:port/"; tla get <whatever>

mp> work for you?  I haven't seen the need to try it for Arch myself, but most
mp> HTTP libraries will honour the http_proxy environment variable.

The above setting does not work for me. I tried it and I get the following
error: "ill formated http proxy port number from $http_proxy"

My settings follow the example (with other values)
Proxy      : PROXY
Proxy port : 8080
User name  : DOMAIN/USERNAME
Passowrd   : PASSWD

http_proxy: http://DOMAIN\/address@hidden:PROXY:8080/

I personally feel the various authentication mechanisms are not supported. I
see LYNX trying NTLM, Kerberos etc... before it gets through my proxy
server. IMHO, GNU Arch [tla] does not support some of the authentication
methods.
Can accessing the internet to download the files be offloaded to some other
tool like GNU wget which supports more methods. This is just an idea. I had
developed something to download from CVS through ViewCVS. The tool/script used
an external downloader like wget or curl.

-dhruva

--
Name : Dhruva Krishnamurthy (dk)
Phone: +91-(0)80-22999190