Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: MD5 is broken

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: MD5 is broken
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:03:55 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Andreas Rottmann wrote:

> Karel Gardas <address@hidden> writes:

> Not being collision-free is a property of all possible hash functions
> where the hash value is shorter than the hashed value.

Sorry, this is a misunderstadning, I mean "collision-free" in following
meaning:

"One-way hash functions are supposed to have two properties.  One,
they're one way.  This means that it is easy to take a message and
compute the hash value, but it's impossible to take a hash value and
recreate the original message.  (By 'impossible' I mean 'can't be done
in any reasonable amount of time.')  Two, they're collision free.  This
means that it is impossible to find two messages that hash to the same
hash value.  The cryptographic reasoning behind these two properties is
subtle, and I invite curious readers to learn more in my book Applied
Cryptography."

http://lwn.net/Articles/127667/

Cheers,
Karel