[Gnu-arch-users] State of the Arches

From: Deliverable Mail
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] State of the Arches
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:28:04 -0500

Once I started to look at tla, I see mentions of larch, baz, ArX, and
some others.  There're also references to a legacy arch.  Can someone
please summarize/point out the history of GNU Arch <=> tla, and
outline, briefly, the main differences of other clones?  E.g., baz
refers to arch protocol, but already has its own archive format
(although can work with tla format as well).  How did tla come to
become the GNU Arch?  And what is the deal with the clones, they seem
to splinter the development and attention of those researching a new
versioning system...  I'd like to see a statement from GNU on the
"State of the Arches", and/or at least "a view from the tla project,"
since when you start looking at it, it's not immediately obvious who's
the original, who's the clone, which is the viable and safe bet to use
for the long term.

Cheers,
Alexy