Re: [Gnu-arch-users] State of the Arches

From: Andrew
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] State of the Arches
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:28:35 -0800

> I'm not sure where ArX split from Arch, but I believe it arose due to
> philosophical differences between Tom and the ArX forker.  It's
> essentially unrelated to tla at this point.

<snip>

> Not really.  In baz's case, it's actually helping, from what I
> understand.  ArX is probably the only thing relatively unhelpful to
> 'GNU Arch', but that's to be expected when two different people want
> to take their respective projects in different directions.

ArX isnt that much different from what I can tell, I havent delved into
it too deeply so I could be wrong. The main differences I've noticed
are that ArX has full support for partial tree commits including file
adds, the last version of tla I've used (1.3) does not. Also, the ArX
sub-commandset is much more organized and easier (IMHO) for someone new
to arch in general to pick up compared with tla's. I haven't looked into
the differences in baz yet.

On the other hand there is very little traffic on the ArX mailing lists,
which may indicate theres not much developing going on, so I would agree
that baz/tla are better choices for a long term solution.

-Andrew