[Gnu-arch-users] Free space wasting when handling binary files

From: Simon Geusebroek
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Free space wasting when handling binary files
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:15:14 +0100

Hello !

I'm working on a project which will handle big binary files (.deb
files). I've noted that Arch stores each files twice (in order to
check data integrity, if I've rightly understood, cf.
http://wiki.gnuarch.org/Ask_20Arch_20questions?action=refresh&arena=Page.py&key=Ask_20Arch_20questions.text_html#head-9fbf906184b7b40ad6cc10c85c68d8a77afa250e).
This is doubling the size of my archive, loosing a lot of space :(.

I'm wondering if it's possible to deactivate this system (that is,
store each file only once…) and, moreover, why checksum are not used:
it seems to me that it could be sufficient to insure data integrity
and could free a lot of space (I'm surely wrong for one reason or
another, but I would like to understand why…).

Thank you in advance,

Simon Geusebroek.